As the weather begins to cool, try warming up with this fall favorite.
3 ½ pounds roma tomatoes, halved
2 teaspoons olive oil
½ cup chopped onion (medium)
¼ cup shredded carrot
¼ cup finely chopped celery
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup unsalted chicken stock or reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon thyme
1 teaspoon basil
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons plain fat-free Greek yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Arrange tomatoes, cut sides down, in two shallow baking pans. Roast for 30 minutes. Remove from oven; let stand until cool. Using your fingers, lift the skins from tomatoes and discard (some skins may remain on tomatoes). Set tomatoes aside.
2. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic. Cook about 4 minutes or until onion is tender. Add tomatoes and any liquid from baking pan, the chicken stock, thyme, and rosemary. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
3. Transfer half of the tomato mixed to a food processor or blender. Cover and process or blend until smooth. Repeat with the remaining tomato mixture. Return all to the saucepan. Stir in the 1 tablespoon basil, salt and pepper. Stir in the 2 tablespoons yogurt. Heat through. Serve soup with grilled cheese.
4 slices reduced-calorie whole wheat bread
Nonstick cooking spray
¼ cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (1 ounce)
¼ cup shredded American cheese (1 ounce)
1. To assemble the sandwiches, coat one side of each of the bread slices with cooking spray. Lay slices of bread, coated side down, on a sheet of waxed paper. Sprinkle 2 of the bread slices with the shredded cheeses, dividing cheeses evenly. Top with remaining bread slices, coated side up.
2. Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat. Place sandwiches on the hot griddle or skillet; cooke about 6 minutes or until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted, turning once halfway through cooking time. Cut sandwiches into quarters to serve.
Makes 4 servings
Amount per Serving
Total Fat: 8g
Saturated Fat: 3g
Sodium: 466 mg
Recipe adapted from Diabetic Living