Looking for a new weekend breakfast meal? This is a high protein, low carb dish the whole family will love!
Quinoa is a whole grain that is gluten-free and loaded with fiber and protein.
• Nonstick cooking spray
• ½ cup quinoa
• 8 oz. sliced fresh mushrooms
• 1 cup loosely packed, coarsely chopped fresh spinach
• ½ cup sliced halved leeks
• 4 ½ ounce sliced Applewood smoked bacon, crisp cooked and coarsely crumbled
• 4 eggs, lightly beaten
• 1 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
• 1 12-oz. can evaporated fat-free milk
• 2 oz. Gruyere or Havarti cheese, shredded (1/2 cup)
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 10-inch pie plate with cooking spray
2. Rinse quinoa (rinsing removes the grain’s bitterness). Using a spatula spread the quinoa evenly over the bottom of the pie plate.
3. In a bowl, stir together mushrooms, spinach, leeks, and bacon. Spread evenly over quinoa.
4. In a large bowl, combine and whisk the eggs, egg product, evaporated milk, shredded cheese, salt and pepper. Pour into pie plate.
5. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until set in the center and lightly browned on top.
makes 6 servings
Amounts per serving
Total Fat: 12g
Saturated Fat: 4g
Cholesterol: 163 mg
Dietary Fiber: 1g
Sodium: 571 mg
Recipe adapted from Diabetic Living