This low carb version of a traditional pasta meal is perfect for those Georgia summer days too hot to have your
oven on or to stand by a hot stove.
• 4 small or 2 large zucchinis, ends cut off
• 1 pound cooked ground meat
• ½ cup of your favorite pasta sauce
• 8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese (about 2 cups)
• 15 oz. part-skim ricotta cheese
• ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
• 2 eggs
• 1 tablespoon dried parsley
• 1 teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon black pepper
1. Thinly slice zucchini length-wise into strips like lasagna noodles. Do not peel zucchini. Use a mandolin if available.
2. In a bowl, make cheese filling: combine 1 cup mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, eggs, parsley, salt and pepper.
3. At the bottom of your slow cooker create a layer of zucchini strips.
4. Top with rounded ½ cup of cheese filling, 1 cup meat, and 1-3 tablespoons of sauce.
5. Continue layering until you only have enough zucchini left for the top layer.
6. Before adding top layer, add whatever sauce, meat and cheese filling you have left. Top with zucchini and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
7. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
8. Turn off slow cooker and let rest for 30 minutes.
makes 6 servings
Amounts per serving
Total Fat: 20g
Saturated Fat: 9g
Cholesterol: 168 mg
Dietary Fiber: 0g
Sodium: 434 mg
** Nutritional information will vary depending on type of meat and pasta sauce used.
Recipe adapted from NewLeaf Wellness.